Tesla Unveils The Tesla Powerwall To Power Your Home Completely Off Grid
Elon Musk and Tesla have done it again and made the news, moving people into the new age and helping to save the planet. Tesla unveiled the Powerwall, a rechargeable lithium ion battery with liquid thermal control made to power your home. The Powerwall is an elegant wall mounted battery unit that looks more like a sculpture.
The Powerwall is a highly efficient and cost-effective smart battery that charges itself from solar panel generated electricity, or from the grid when power rates are low. It is programmed to use its stored electricity to power your home when utility rates are high, and charge itself from the grid during off-peak hours when utility rates are low.
The unit automatically switches to battery power to power your home in case of a power outage, supplies power during peak billing hours to reduce your electricity bill, and also provides the possibility of going totally off-grid by installing multiple batteries together to supply all of your home’s power needs. The Powerwall comes in a 7 kWh model for $3000 and a 10 kWh weekly cycle model for $3500, and both have a 10 year warranty.
The Powerwall was designed to be unobtrusive, only having a depth of 7.1″, a width of 33.9″, a height of 51.2″, and a variety of colors to chose from to suit your home.
- Efficiency: 92% round-trip DC efficiency
- Power: 2.0 kW continuous, 3.3 kW peak
- Voltage: 350 – 450 volts
- Current: 5.8 amp nominal, 8.6 amp peak output
- Compatibility: Single phase and three phase utility grid compatible.
- Operating Temperature: -4°F to 110°F / -20°C to 43°C
- Enclosure: Rated for indoor and outdoor installation.
- Installation: Requires installation by a trained electrician. DC-AC inverter not included.
- Weight: 220 lbs / 100 kg
- Dimensions: 51.2” x 33.9” x 7.1” 1300 mm x 860 mm x 180 mm
- Certification: NRTL listed to UL standards