Elderberry Benefits – Sambucus Nigra – Against The Flu
Fight Cold And Flu With Black Elderberry
When I first started my vegan journey and I went on a three month herbal cleanse to clean my organs of waste and toxins, and to remove excess mucus from my body.
I used elderberry daily for that period of time to help clear my body of mucus and to strengthen my immune system. I use it occasionally now to help fortify my immune system.
Sambucus Nigra, also known as elderberry, has been used in traditional medicine for hundreds of years Africa, America, and Asia, to treat bronchitis, cough, upper respiratory cold infections, and fever.
Elderberry contains high levels of anthocyanins, and other flavonoids which give elderberry powerful antioxidant, antiviral, and likely anti-cancer properties. Herbalists have used elderberry extract to soothe and shrink swollen mucus membranes, relieve nasal congestion, and to fight off infections that may lead to bronchitis and sinusitis. Scientific studies have also been done to see if elderberry can actually live up to it’s billing.
Laboratory research has shown that:
- Elderberry is effective against flu infections like H1N1 by binding to the virus and blocking it from entering host cells.
- One study found that elderberry could cut the time a person has flu symptoms by more than 50%, and the benefits are greater if a person starts taking elderberry within twenty four to forty eight hours after flu symptoms have started.
- Elderberries have an anti-inflammatory effect that reduces pain, aches, and fever.
- Elderberry flavonoids are powerful antioxidants which to protect the cells of the body against damage and aging.
- Elderberries stimulate the immune system by increasing white blood cells, anti-inflammatory substances, and cytokines which may give it anti-cancer properties.
Learn more about elderberry and other herbs used in Dr. Sebi’s methodology and how to use them in my book Alkaline Herbal Medicine.
Learn About Foods That Support Health and Vitality on the Dr. Sebi Nutritional Guide »
Elderberry flavonoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro
Elderberry Fights Flu Symptoms
Tags: anti-inflammatory, antiviral, detoxify, elderberry, herbs, immune system, inflammation, nutrition